Thursday, August 2, 2012

Ah, the name of the album...well, one day I was chatting with students before the first bell (I'm a high school teacher) and a student asked, "Hey, what's it called when you see, like, Jesus's face in a piece of toast?" I had no idea. Thank you, Google images! Check out some Pareidolia examples. Basically, humans are pre-programmed to make chaos into patterns. When we see a cloud that looks like an elephant, that's our brain filing the random billowing of the cloud into an image we can recognize and share.

Of course, in this digital age, it's easy to manipulate photos; however, there are tons of unaltered images that are quite incredible. In fact, just this week while I helped my wife can pickles, I discovered this funky cucumber guy on the right, whom my daughter and I dubbed, "Ghost pickle."

I love the concept of pareidolia: looking deeply and differently at nature, technology, buildings, etc., and seeing art that may not actually have been intended. Happy accidents: that's what recording music is for me. Often in the studio, Tom Kutrieb (producer) and I would try different approaches, hit strange keys or omit the most dominant sounds just to see what would happen. Most often a way more original or fantastic song would emerge from that chaos. Pareidolia. Keep your eyes open.

1 comment:

  1. Duuude,

    Becca and I tried to make bread, and look how it turned out. Barney the Dinosaur Bread!

    http://donadamshome.com/pareidolia/barneybread1.jpg

    ReplyDelete